Our preferred choice for the 403b is Security Benefit’s NEA DirectInvest. This plan is fantastic by nearly any measure. We’re using it and feel lucky to have it.
When we spoke with Security Benefit they never confirmed whether or not we were allowed to enroll in NEA DirectInvest. Don’t let that stop you from enrolling! Check out the Set Up Your Plans page to see how we enrolled.
Financial institutions are known for being very tricky so we’ll update this if need be but as far as we know there are just two fees associated with this plan:
- Security Benefit charges a $35/year fee until your balance exceeds $50,000 at which point the fee is dropped entirely.
- Every mutual fund you invest in has its own yearly fee (expense ratio) that is a percentage of the amount invested in the fund.
Our Preferred Portfolio
Don’t confuse complexity with effectiveness. All you need are 3 simple funds to build a fully diversified portfolio with rock bottom fees!
- Vanguard Total Stock Market
- Covers US stocks for a 0.05% fee per year.
- Vanguard Total International Stock Market
- Covers international stocks for a 0.12% fee per year.
- Vanguard Intermediate Term Bond
- Covers bonds for a 0.09% fee per year.